The Little Bird Stitch is an allover cable pattern. It makes the fabric look as if it has little birds roosting all over the fabric’s surface. This is a simple cable pattern, perfect for beginning cable knitters. This delicate and subtle knitting stitch is great for projects with large areas of fabric. Use the little bird stitch in hats, market bags, pillows, or in a lovely cardigan.
- Knit Stitch
- Purl Stitch
- Slip Stitch
- Cable 3 Right: Slip two sts onto cable needle and hold in back of work, k1, k2 from cable needle
- Cable 3 Left: Slip one st onto cable needle and hold in front of work, k2, k1 from cable needle
Cast On: Multiples of 14 + 8
- Row 1 (RS): Knit
- Row 2: Purl
- Row 3: K10, *sl 2 purlwise, k12; rep from* to last 12 sts, sl 2 purlwise, k10.
- Row 4: P10, *sl 2 purlwise, p12; rep from* to last 12 sts, sl 2 purlwise, p10.
- Row 5: K8, *c3r, c3l, k8; rep from* to end
- Row 6: Purl
- Row 7: Knit
- Row 8: Purl
- Row 9: K3, *sl 2, k12; rep from* to last 5 sts, sl 2, k3.
- Row 10: P3, *sl 2, p12; rep from* to last 5 sts, sl 2, p3.
- Row 11: K1, * c3r, c3l, k8; rep from * to last 7 sts, c3r, c3l, k1.
- Row 12: Purl
Repeat these rows 1 – 12 until you have reached your desired length.