The caterpillar stitch is a simple knit and purl pattern that creates a fabric with short diagonal lines. This subtle texture looks like little caterpillars working their way across the fabric. It’s a an easy stitch to make and looks great on larger projects where you want some visual interest without it calling attention to itself.
Try the caterpillar stitch in a blanket, washcloth, or even a hat.
Cast On: Multiples of 8 + 6
- Row 1: (right side) k4, p2, *k6, p2; rep from * to end
- Row 2: p1, k2, *p6, k2; rep from * to last 3 sts, p3
- Row 3: k2, p2, *k6, p2; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2
- Row 4: p3, k2, *p6, k2; rep from * to last st, p1
- Row 5: p2, *k6, p2; rep from * to last 4sts, k4
- Row 6: Purl.
Repeat rows 1 – 6 until you have reached your desired length.