About this Stitch Pattern
The caterpillar stitch is a simple knit and purl pattern that creates a fabric with short diagonal lines. This subtle texture looks like little caterpillars working their way across the fabric. It’s an easy stitch to make and looks great on larger projects where you want some visual interest without it calling attention to itself.
Try the caterpillar stitch in a blanket, washcloth, or even a hat.
[VIDEO] Stitch Pattern Tutorial
Techniques Used In This Stitch Pattern
Stitch Pattern Details
Stitch Pattern Instructions
Cast On: Multiples of 8 + 6
- Row 1: (right side) k4, p2, *k6, p2; rep from * to end
- Row 2: p1, k2, *p6, k2; rep from * to last 3 sts, p3
- Row 3: k2, p2, *k6, p2; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2
- Row 4: p3, k2, *p6, k2; rep from * to last st, p1
- Row 5: p2, *k6, p2; rep from * to last 4sts, k4
- Row 6: Purl.
Repeat rows 1 – 6 until you have reached your desired length.