The floating snake cable stitch creates a fabric with delicate ribs, punctuated by vertical zig zag cables. These “floating snakes” are bordered by columns of twisted stockinette that provide a braided accent. This is a great stitch pattern for large pieces of fabric. Use the floating snake cable in scarves, afghans, and pillows.
- Knit Stitch
- Purl Stitch
- K1 TBL
- Knit one Through Back Loop
- 2/1 RC
- 2 Over 1 Right Cross – slip 2 sts onto cable needle and hold to back, k1, k2 from cable needle.
- 1/2 LC
- 1 Over 2 Left Cross – slip 1 st onto cable needle and hold to front, k2, k1 from cable needle.
Cast On: Multiple of 10 sts + 5.
- Row 1 (Right Side): *p2, k1, p2, k1 tbl, 2/1 RC, k1 tbl; rep from * to last 5 sts, p2, k1, p2.
- Row 2: *k2, p1, k2, wyif sl 1, p3, wyif sl 1; rep from * to last 5 sts, k2, p1, k2.
- Row 3:*p2, k1, p2, k1 tbl, 1/2 LC, k1 tbl; rep from * to last 5 sts, p2, k1, p2.
- Row 4:*k2, p1, k2, wyif sl 1, p3, wyif sl 1; rep from * to last 5 sts, k2, p1, k2.
Repeat rows 1-4 until you have reached your desired length.