The Russian join is a method for joining two pieces of yarn and can be used to join a new color or simply to add a new ball of the same color. This join is very secure and does not leave any ends to weave in.
- STEP 1 – Take tail of yarn and thread it through the eye of your tapestry needle.
- STEP 2 – On the same strand of yarn (your working yarn) move your fingers down a few inches and untwist it a little bit.
- STEP 3 – Insert needle into the untwisted portion of our strand making sure to insert into the very center of the strand, pull tail of yarn all the way through making a little loop at the end of the strand.
- STEP 4 – Take your second strand of yarn and insert it through the eye of the needle.
- STEP 5 – Pull needle and second piece of yarn through the loop created on the first strand of yarn.
- STEP 6 – Slip needle through the center of the working strand similar to step 3.
- STEP 7 – Pull needle and tail of yarn through.
- STEP 8 – Pull tight so the holes at the ends are very small and cut off any excess ends.