About this Stitch Pattern
This crochet tutorial will help you learn how to crochet the flying shell stitch. This stitch creates a dense but delicate pattern. The flying shell stitch would be great for hats, shrugs and cardigans!
[VIDEO] Stitch Pattern Tutorial
Techniques Used In This Stitch Pattern
Stitch Pattern Details
Stitch Pattern Instructions
Foundation Chain:Multiples of 4 + 1
- Row 1: (Right Side): work a Flying Shell (called FS) of [1sc, 3ch, 3dc] into 2nd ch from hook, *skip 3ch, 1FS into next ch; rep from * to last 4ch, skip 3ch, 1sc into last ch, turn.
- Row 2: 3ch, 1dc into first st, skip * 3 sts, 1sc into top of 3ch**, work a V st of [1dc, 1ch, 1dc] into next sc; rep from * ending last rep at **, 2dc into last sc, skip tch, turn.
- Row 3: 3ch, 3dc into first st, skip next st, *1FS into next sc, skip next V st; rep from * ending 1sc into last sc, 3ch, dc2tog over last dc and top of tch, turn.
- Row 4: 1ch, *V st into next sc, skip 3 sts, 1sc into top of 3ch; rep from * to end, turn.
- Row 5: 1ch, FS into first st, *skip next V st, FS into next sc; rep from * ending skip last V st, 1sc into tch, turn.
Repeat rows 2-5 until you have reached your desired length.
Stitch Pattern Swatch Photos