Note: These instructions are for binding off in a 1 x 1 rib pattern, but the principle is the same for all binding off in pattern.
- Step 1: Take a length of yarn from your ball of yarn.
- Step 2: Make a slip knot and insert the needle into the loop. Tighten slip knot onto needle.
Warning!- When casting on a lot of stitches the yarn has a tendency to untwist. Make sure the long tail is closest to you so you can easily retwist the yarn as you go.
- Step 3: With your bottom three fingers grab both pieces of yarn and hold them in your palm.
- Step 4: Take your index finger and thumb and push them through the two pieces of yarn.
- Step 5: Shift your thumb and forefinger backwards to pull the yarn tight. The yarn should form a “V” or sling shot on your fingers.
- Step 6: Take the tip of your needle and bring it under both strands of yarn on your thumb.
- Step 7: Bring the needle through the loop on your thumb.
- Step 8: Wrap the needle around the top strand of yarn on your index finger, going over and then under.
- Step 9: Pull the yarn through the small opening of the crossed strands on your thumb, OR untwist the yarn on your thumb by moving your thumb in a counter-clockwise motion and then over the needle.
- Step 10: Release the yarn from you thumb.
- Step 11: Pull the yarn tight and position your thumb and index finger in the “V” configuration for the next stitch.
Continue repeating steps 3-11 until you have cast on your desired number of stitches.