About this Stitch Pattern
This crochet tutorial will help you learn how to crochet the french square motif. The french square motif would be great for afghans, pillows, and blankets!
[VIDEO] Stitch Pattern Tutorial
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Techniques Used In This Stitch Pattern
- Chain Stitch
- Single Crochet
- Double Crochet
- Treble Crochet
- sl st
- Slip Stitch
- Half Double Crochet 3 Together – wrap yarn over the hook, insert hook , wrap the yarn again and draw a loop through (3 loops on the hook). Rep this step twice, inserting the hook into the same stitch (7 loops on the hook); wrap the yarn and draw through all the loops on the hook. Work an extra ch st to close the stitch.
- Half Double Crochet 4 Together – wrap yarn over the hook, insert hook , wrap the yarn again and draw a loop through (4 loops on the hook). Rep this step twice, inserting the hook into the same stitch (7 loops on the hook); wrap the yarn and draw through all the loops on the hook. Work an extra ch st to close the stitch.
- Cluster- work 3dc into next st until 1 loop of each remains on hook, yo and through all 4 loops on hook.
Stitch Pattern Details
Make 6ch ring
Stitch Pattern Instructions
Foundation Chain:Make 6ch ring
- Round 1: 4ch (count as 1dc and 1ch), [1dc into ring, 1ch] 11 times, sl st to 3rd of 4ch.
- Round 2: sl st into next ch, 3ch, work hdc3tog into same sp 9counts as hdc4tog), *2ch, work hdc4tog into next sp, 3ch, 1tr into next dc, 3ch, work hdc4tog into next sp, 2ch**, hdc4tog into next sp; rep from * twice more and from * to ** again, sl st to top of 1st Cluster.
- Round 3: 1ch, 1sc into same place, *2ch, skip next 2ch sp, 4dc into next 3ch sp, 2ch, 1tr into next tr, 3ch, inserting hook down through top of last tr and make sl st, 2ch, 4dc into next 3ch sp, 2ch, skip next 2ch sp, 1sc into next Cluster; rep from * 3 more times, omitting sc at end, sl st to 1st sc. Fasten off.
Repeat rounds 1-3 until you have reached your desired length.
Stitch Pattern Swatch Photos
2 thoughts on “The French Square Motif :: Crochet Stitch #169”
thank you thank you thank you for using the great colours on the samples…I can see all of them so clearly.. I really appreciate it
It took a while but I finally managed this motiffe. The only think that bothered me a bit was the beginning of the first cluster in the second row as I thought it looked a bit bulky
Comments are closed.